Friday, July 31, 2009

Worriers Anonymous

Hello, I’m Tammy, and I am a worrier. It should be the same as any other addiction group. I would definitely belong to Worrier’s Anonymous. I worry about EVERYTHING. It turns, twists, and tuns through my head constantly. I googled “how to stop worrying” and came up with 3, 150,000 hits. I guess other people should belong too! Unfortunately, I had no luck discovering the 12 step program.

I worry about my children. I worry about the decisions that I make that affect my children. I worry about what I eat, what I say, what I do. Hmm…is there anything else left? Right now, I’m worrying whether my Little Bit is teething, has an ear infection, or has just mastered getting me to run to her and give her a bottle when she wakes up. Have I just helped her create this new bad habit? Yep, worrying. Will my LaLa like her new teacher this year? Is she too young to go to preschool? Should I have kept her home or done a different program? Yep, worrying. Oh, the list just goes on and on. The older they get the more we worry because the less we know…or maybe it’s the less that we can control! I can’t even imagine the teenage years!

Yesterday, Little Bit made this scrunched up face. LaLa turned around to face her and said “oh, baby, are you worried?” Now, where in the world would a 3 year old come up with that? Then, she turned to me and said, “Mama, that’s her worried face.” Yep, you’re right….then, I worried that my kids are picking up on my addiction to worrying. It’s one thing to be the “family” joke that they don’t need to worry because they know I am! It’s another thing for my kids to pick up on my negative attributes!

Of course, it gave me something else to add to the list to worry about! Seriously, what do I accomplish by worrying? Absolutely nothing! I don’t think we realize that our kids pick up on everything—all of our traits both positive and negative! Addictions are known to be hereditary—often passed down from generation to generation. This is one addiction that I don’t want my kids to inherit. I knew I was a worrier…like most people know they are addicted to alcohol, shopping, or food, but I didn’t “claim” it. Now, I probably won’t stop worrying over night, but I am going to try to reduce my worrying to a minimum.

“My life has been full of terrible misfortunes, most of which have never happened” -Michael de Montaigne. This quote is going to my mantra for the next couple days! Most of what I worry about will not be changed by my worrying about it. Psalm 94:19 says, “I was very worried, but you comforted me and made me happy.” Obviously, if someone like David in the Bible was worrying, at least I am in good company! However, when I worry, I am going to be more aware of the worth of worrying and let go of what I cannot change…or control!

What’s your addiction or negative attribute? You don’t even have to look within! Look closely, your kids probably reflect the same “symptoms”. It’s our jobs as mama’s to stop the cycle so they won’t end up as…crazy…as we are!

Mama Drama Rule #6: Our children are some of the best teachers that I have ever had. On most days, they are an open window into my soul. Sometimes what I see makes my heart rejoice. Other times, what I see makes me cringe and strive to be a better person...for their sakes.

Going to share my cute, easy, and inexpensive apron project today! Look for a new posting later today.

1 comment:

Julie Davis said...

Tammy I am soooo impressed with you. You have always been an inspiration but this time you have really found your nitch. You should get paid to this sorta thing. Your insight is dead on and so many of us mothers can really relate. There is something strangly comforting to knowing that someone as together as you has the same worries, concerns and experiences as I have and have had. I love you! Please keep doing this blog. It is awesome!