Monday, January 11, 2010

Baby Blunder!

My three year old, LaLa, recently asked me if we could have another baby. I said maybe she could have one for her birthday...thinking she was requesting a new baby doll. However, she said, "No, mama, not from wal-mart (note to self...I obviously go to wal-mart too often). I want you to get a baby sister or a baby bruder from the cabbages. Make sure to pull it up out of the cabbage to make sure it's a boy one. I probably should get a boy one since I have a sister one already. If you get it mixed up though, it doesn't matter." I just looked at her so confused. Cabbage? Sister? Brother? I respond, "What in the world are you talking about?" "Maaammaaa, you know...." I changed the subject to a subject that I knew she would gravitate to...her birthday. Fortunately, she went for it because I was so confused.


Later, out of nowhere, I remembered! I was so excited that my child wasn't losing her marbles, and I was overjoyed that I figured out what she was talking about. Over New Year's weekend we went to the mountains and visited the Cabbage Patch Babyland in Cleveland, Georgia. It made sense now! My three year old has decided that babies come from cabbages! It took me a few hours, but I finally understood.


I went back to LaLa and told her I understood what she was talking about earlier. I also told her the cabbage patch dolls come from the cabbages not real babies. She looked at me with a serious expression and said, "Mama, let's not even talk about that right now." Then, she ran off to find her sister telling the one year old, "Sorry, it was just mommy. She always has to talk to me!"


Maybe I'll just let her think babies come from cabbages...a bit longer! Next time, she is going to be looking in Publix for cabbages in order to find a baby sister or "bruder"! Oooooh....I'll just tell her we don't have a coupon....maybe next time!

No comments: