Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Mr. Postman start doing your warm ups...It's Time for Christmas Cards!

My Mailman brought my mail and a package to my door today. It is cold and rainy in Georgia today. As we were talking, he said, "oh, we're just getting started. it's time for Christmas cards!" This kinda made me laugh because this has been my current new obsession!

I'm on a brainstorming hunt for Christmas Cards! I love making our Christmas cards each year, but I think this year I might be stretching myself a little too thin. I've become overwhelmed with everything we have going on in our world! So, I'm looking for some great ideas...cheap, quick, and crafty ideas! We had Christmas pictures of the girls taken and of course, their Santa pictures. That is the only start that I have so far! Here are some ideas that I have done in the past or enjoyed from friends!

1. If you have a little, bitty one, there are the cutest huge stockings at the dollar store. How cute would a picture be with a baby peeking out of the stocking...a little photo editing & you could make it look like it was hanging on a mantle! Wishing your loved ones that their stockings are as full and wonderful as yours this holiday season!

2. Have one child in a (open) wrapped box with a bow on their head while the other child is the "wrapper". We did this last year. It was super cute!

3. Here is another that we have done...snap some shops of your little one or your family in Christmas clothes or jammies creating a gingerbread house masterpiece!

4. Take pictures of your little ones at the same spot every year...beside a particular object (like a animated Santa)...so you can watch the big changes each year.

5. Use those cute beach pictures from the summer with the caption...warm wishes during this holiday season!

6. Santa pictures...if your children aren't too traumatized or running away as my Little Bit did for most of the pictures, these are easy pictures for Christmas cards! This is probably going to be my lazy way out this year!

7. Take all your Christmas cards each year that have pictures and create an album...assign a page per family. I started this three years ago because I just can't bring myself to throw away pictures on the cards. I put it on my coffee table each year during the holidays. It is fun to see how the families grow and change each year!

8. Dress up the family and take a picture of your family in front of your tree.

9. Take pictures of your family or children in the city with the Christmas decorations. I had a friend (a scrapbooking genius) that used a decorated light post in Atlanta. You could see all the city's background and festive Christmas decorations. She made the picture black and white, and it was gorgeous.

10. Be creative. With fun holiday songs like You better watch out, silent night, away in a manger, naughty and nice, etc. snap a bunch of pictures and pick the caption that matches your picture rather than starting with the idea first! My favorite, which I definitely want to use one day...take a picture of your kids sleeping and use the caption, "Silent Night" or "Peace on Earth".

11. Have a friend climb on a ladder and take a picture of your family "making" the letter of their last name with everyone laying on the ground. I had a friend send me a picture with them and their three kiddos making a B. It was great! How creative!

Here are some great websites that had wonderful ideas too!

Picture Ideas
Card Idea with Child's handprint...perfect for Fridge display!
Shutterfly-the easy way!
More ideas on how to upload and use/order photos!

I'd love to hear your ideas & inspiration! I think I am going to be one of those crazy people (yeah, one of those that I so made fun of before I had kids!) and include a family update letter. With some family and friends that we send cards to, it is unfortunately the only time we hear from each other as all of lives get crazier each year! Of course, when you have kids...you want to tell everyone everything wonderful that they do too!:) You just can't help yourself!

Mama Drama Rule #81: Don't put too much pressure on yourself to create the ideal Christmas Card (or gift for that matter!) Be creative! Use what you have, make it a true picture of your family, and share joy with your family and friends!

No comments: