Monday, October 5, 2009

Tweezers, a nose, and a mama driven to drink...

I'm veering off my plan of posting about part two of my coupons...I'll go back...but I had to share about how my LaLa literally drove me to drink last night. Seriously, I, as well as friends, have always joked, "oh, my kids are driving me crazy...etc. etc., but all of us rarely, rarely drink." Well, let me tell you...after LaLa's experience last night, I sat in a dark bathroom, in the tub, with a large glass of wine to relax my heart beating in my throat!

Sundays are so busy for us. We have church, awana at night that we teach and have to plan for, I usually get my coupons and lists ready, lunch, dinner, naps, straighten the house, get ready for the week, baths, bed, etc. We rush the entire day. Yesterday was one of those days where I'm questioning my sanity and continuously looking behind me to see why my supermom cape is being a dud! We started off well. We were dressed and in the car on time for church...then, I noticed that Little Bit's dress was really more of a shirt...I haven't switch out their summer clothes for fall yet. So, I run in to get another dress...and back in the car. I dress her in the parking lot. We take our drinks (we had volunteered to bring) to our Sunday School class...which we can't stay at because we have nursery the first of every month, take our girls to their classes, do nursery, pack up everyone, and off to lunch. The day goes pretty much the same...

After awana, I insisted that we run in Publix to do our shopping....to put me a little ahead of the week...because I know the week is busy. Two little girls are tired and not happy...and one man that you would think was being tortured by shopping through Publix with his family! (BTW, I did well with my coupons...BUT I am still not doing as well as my friend the wizard! I spent $67 and saved $114 with coupons. I'm still buying stuff to stock our pantry and our necessities (organic milk, bread, eggs, deli meat, fresh fruit, etc) that is hurting my total! I'm working on it though!

We get home...my husband unloads the groceries and I put the girls to bed. Well, LaLa is in this stage where she gets out of bed five hundred times with five hundred excuses. One of the excuses was legit..she was sneezy and getting stuffy because she had helped daddy cut the grass that day. I told her to come on back downstairs and gave her a claritan and some water. She handed me the cup and went upstairs. Minutes later, I hear in an urgent monotone voice, "Moooooommmm, Maaaammmmaaa, Moooommmmmmyyyyy." Yes, all three possible names my girls call me, and it scared me to death! I run to the top of the stairs. She looks at me moving her head very slowly like it might just roll right off and says, "I stuck my sneezy medicine in my nose. It won't come out!" Although I always thought I would be wonderful with emergencies...I'm not...not even a little bit.

There in her nose was a little round purple pill....way up in her nose...I could only see the bottom of it...passed the point of even a finger could reach....and she was getting upset, which just made the pill move up higher. I yell...calmly...well, probably more frantically to my husband to come now and quick.

He calmly says he is getting a tool (tweezers) and it's okay. He works on it for about 15 minutes with no luck. He calmly tells me to go call my parents to see if they can come and watch Little Bit for a while...then, I began to not be able to breathe....because I know this is code for WE ARE GOING TO THE ER. I CANNOT GET IT OUT! I go to call, and just as my mom picks up I hear, "I got it! It's okay." LaLa then breaks down all the sobs and anxiety she had held together while her daddy stuck these squeezy things that "saved her life" according to her!

Now, I have to confess. I told my child that she was so lucky we got it out. And, if she ever, ever did it again, we would probably have to go to the hospital. They would probably have to cut her nose off to get it out. It would probably bleed. There would probably be shots involved. Yep, I wanted to scare the "bujesus" (I have no idea the meaning of this word...it's just the word we use for such a statement.) out of her because not only do I not want her to do it again, but I don't think this mama can handle that drama.

So, that is why my day ended with me sitting in a dark room, in a bathtub, with a very large glass of wine. It gives me the "hibbyjibbies" to just think about it! (another one of those words that I don't know where it came from or what it means...but it's just the appropriate word for such a statement!)

Mama Drama Rule #51: Never stick anything up your nose....ever. Go ahead and scare your kids now so you don't have to experience it...go ahead and throw in any other holes they have in their head as well and make sure you've got yourself covered!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

What a day! That would have scared me to death too! I would have ended up in a dark room with a bottle of wine and not just a glass after that experience! LOL!

BTW...awesome job with the shopping!! Be sure to always get your penny item! ;)

Victoria said...

Oh my word! That was quite a day!!!! Glad you guys were able to get it out without a trip to the ER!!!

Thanks for the couponing help...I went to Publix after ballet and my total before coupons was $35 and I ended up paying $13! As a novice, I was totally pleased! :) By the way, at our Publix, the paper had the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and crescent rolls listed as 10 for $10 but there wasn't a sign up and they rang up full price. I showed the lady the ad and she changed them to $1 each so with my coupons they were free! YAY!