Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Questions, Questions, and More Questions...

I remember consciously wishing and wanting my baby in my belly to smart, curious, and inquisitive in the world he/she lived in...oooohhh, if I only knew what that was going to mean in three short years later!



Where in the world does a three year old come up with these multitudes of questions? I can't process the questions much less the answers, and let me just tell you...I don't know is not an acceptable response to a three year old. If you have been through this phase, I would love to know how to endure it. Then, I wonder, "Am I not providing sufficient answers to support her inquisitive mind?" "When I make silly answers to just get her to move on, am I causing her irreversible harm?" "How can I effectively tune her out without shutting down her questions?" "Will this phase EVER go by?" Oh, my, now I'm asking a gabillion questions...it's contagious!

I counted today as we were in route from preschool, through the bank, and home. I counted over twenty questions in less than forty minutes! Seriously! Let me just share some of our craziness...
Mama, why are all the clouds different?

Mama, did you hear me? Mama, why do I have to wear my seat belt?

Mama, I asked you a question. Why is Little Bit making that noise?

Mama, I like Chick-fil-a. Are we going to eat there? Why not? Why do they give you fries? Do you like a fruit cup? Do they still have milkshakes? Should we get a milkshake?

Mama, Why is there two red lights? Why do they have a car like us?

Do you want a green car? Why are they out of suckers? Why are we at the bank?

Are we going home? Why are you going this way?

Mama, do you want to hear a joke? Why are there flowers beside the road?

Why is Little Bit a baby? Why doesn't she talk? What will I do when I'm four? I'm just three. I want to say I'm four. Why are there birds? Do they drink water? Are they three or four?

Why is there water? Do you like water?

...my ears are ringing by this point! My child seems to never stop talking. I can handle that...but now that all of the talking is questions that require my constant attention and attempt at feasible answers...it is exhausting! Don't you remember those days when you just worked and worked for your little one to talk...to utter those first glorious words so she/he could communicate with you. I'm having one of those moments where I'm thinking...what in the world was I in such a rush about to get her to talk...my world will never be quiet again...a blessing and a curse all in one!



Mama Drama Rule #49: A phase is just that! When you're going through one with your child, just remember "this too shall pass"!~I need to post this somewhere visible so I'll survive and be encouraged through the onslaught of questions that I face daily!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I know exactly what you mean!!! Caroline is a bit delayed in her speech and I was sweating bullets. I begged my pediatrician to refer her to a speech therapist (which she wouldn't, but funny story) and just cried at night thinking about the delay. Being an educator, I just felt hopeless. Everyone said one day, you will regret wishing for all this...yeah right...UNTIL this week, she asked "why" and wasn't content with my answer. Why?????? What a powerful word!!!!