Monday, August 17, 2009

It's Been My Pleasure Serving You...

It's my pleasure...

We have a restaurant in Georgia called Chick-fil-a. I'm stating this fact because someone actually asked me what it was when I wrote it in a past posting. If you do not know what it is, I encourage you to stop by one day and try it out! I, personally, can't imagine what someone would do without a Chick-fil-a! It was founded by a man named Truett Cathy on Christian principles. Now, locally, we have chick-fil-as and Truetts. They are both the same concept and the same franchise. I believe one of their "trademarks" is the statement, "It's my pleasure or it's been my pleasure serving you." Their employees respond with this statement consistently. My daughter, LaLa was given one of their "hats" today at the restaurant. For the rest of the day, she would "cook" for me and say, "It was my pleasure, mama" as she would give me the "food".

That statement made me think. What an awesome attitude for a company to have as they "serve" their customers! Hmmm...how often do I say that when I am "serving" my family as wife or mama? Honestly, if I truly thought about it, I probably say that or give off that attitude for strangers and people outside of my family more than for my own little crew! I think a lot of it has to do with 'recognition' of the action or task that you are doing for someone. If I volunteer in the community or at church, I often get sincere appreciation or some acknowledgement that I served. I quickly reply with a genuine attitude of "it's been my pleasure...". However, as a mama, we are rarely acknowledged or appreciated. It can be a job that is often unrecognized and completely thankless at times.

If you are a stay at home mom, a great example of this is the attitude given when people ask your occupation. They will often consider that being a mama is not a job at all or say, "oh, you just stay at home." Control your need to cause them bodily harm. More than likely, they wouldn't be able to walk a day in your shoes. Regardless, if you work or stay at home as a mama, very few people know what all you do and how much you do except for YOU! Although usually as mamas, we find our appreciation in the little things our children do--a hug, a smile, a kind act, or a special drawing. Little ones...and even teenagers.. can rarely verbalize or understand what all you are doing as a mama. One day, when they have kids of their own, they will realize it. That's when you can genuinely reply, "It was my pleasure."

For now, we have a huge responsibility each day as mamas. We are molding and shaping the lives of little people. They need us...even when they think they don't. And, rarely, does the job of mama end when they're 18. It is a job that is never ending and often unappreciated, but it is a job that we should be thankful for and dedicated to. So, when I'm up at three in the morning with one of the girls or shuttling them to an activity or making them a meal, I may not get a thank you, but rather than wait for the acknowledgement and appreciation, I am going to try my best to remember to genuinely say and feel, "It's been my pleasure serving you."

--Thank you Chick-fil-a for setting such an example!

Mama Drama Rule #18- A mama's job is one of complete servitude. Our children are made up of all the small contributions that we invest into them day after day and minute after minute. Make sure they know you enjoy and treasure the job like no other!

1 comment:

JessRN said...

Absolutely. This is hard to do! My favorite...Control your urge to cause them bodily harm...lol!! I don't feel so much at a loss when people ask me what I do since I'm still working PT, but I definitely have those days of just feeling like no more than an animate burp rag that happens to be talented at producing PB&Js now and then.